Thursday, October 23, 2008

Our Trip to Texas - Day 5

Friday, October 3rd: After packing the car up yet again, we headed towards our final destination, Holliday, Texas. This was an awkward day of driving because Tomo had to go potty and had not gone potty since the day before. (I'm not so good at the Math and I bought one too few litter boxes. I'm glad that she didn't pee in the hotel room though!) Tomo squirmed and cried and we pulled over three or four times to let her go, but she just wouldn't.
When we finally reached Lubbock, we came across a PetSmart and bought another litter box. Kris stood outside with Tomo and the litter box for 30 minutes while the kids and I listened to "The Wheels on the Bus" about 5000 times. No go. We now had an open litter box and a still squirmy kitty so I put the litter box at my feet and the cat in my lap and we got back on the highway. About 5 minutes later, Tomo jumped down into the litterbox and did her thing. Nothing like having the smell of cat pee being blown back on you from the air conditioning vents. The good news (and possibly the only reason Tomo is still alive) is that nothing got on the carpets.

We stopped in Crosbyton at the good ol' DQ for lunch and continued East. At around 4:30 we pulled into Holliday. The truck was out front and Grandma was waiting. After hugs and kisses, we unloaded the car. Mom had warned us about the state of the truck, so it was only disappointment, not surprise, when we saw all of our things collapsed in a heap. I was only concerned with my little rolltop desk (so I told myself) so I dug it out, relieved to see that it was fine. I then found my broken dishes, my broken lamp, our broken bookshelf, my broken mirror, and several dozen other smushed boxes of various sizes. I can hear dishes rattling, broken, but I refuse to open them. Schrodinger's dishes.
.

No comments: