Sunday, May 10, 2009

Jake the Linguist. (Warning: minor kidbrag.)

From the back of the car yesterday, Jake asked "Daddy, what's 'lee' mean?"

"Lee, like the name?"

"No, 'ly,' like 'accidentally.'"

I stumbled around an explanation of the meaning of the suffix -ly, and ended the explanation by saying "So you can say that [i.e., the thing I clumsily explained -ly means] by saying -ly after some words."

He thought for a second, then asked, "Kinda like -er and -est"?

He must have picked this up from PBS or something because I didn't teach it to him.

So we talked about some -er and -est words for a while. Then after a few seconds' pause, Jake asked, "What's 'well' mean?"

"You mean like what you get water from?"

"No, I mean like, 'Well, that may be true, but what I really want is a tiger.'"

The kid's got a future in Linguistics he does.

-Kris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol, smart kid :P Amazing what they absorb :)

Orchid said...

I was really impressed with both of them regarding their language skills. They are way ahead of what I've seen!