Saturday, September 12, 2009

My New Job

Yesterday I started my new job. I work at the McKenzie Career Center in the PLATO Computer Lab. The PLATO Lab is designed as a credit recovery center. Students who have previously failed a course can come and retake it on the computer. It's self-paced, but it's based on diagnostic testing so if a student understands sections of the curriculum, they don't have to spend time on those tutorials. Then they have a final at the end of the course to pass.

The McKenzie Center, itself, is amazing. They have 700 students in pre-engineering, 300 in biochem, and many more in collision repair, cosmetology, computer graphics, medical fields training, early childhood, and there's a restaurant twice a week. The school was built in 1996, but it looks brand new. There are over 800 top of the line computers available to students in the classrooms. All the teachers and staff are really nice, so I look forward to meeting more people.

I'll try to remember to bring a camera.

1 comment:

Carrie C said...

Beckman HS in CA uses this program but the students have to sign up for zero period to take a class and get the credit. I like how your school works it out for the kids. Plus you cost less than a teacher!