Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day!





Kris and Jake started out the day together driving to the first school of the day, Christ the King. Things went well and they headed to the second school, New Palestine Elementary. Unfortunately, the two schools were so far apart that everyone was late getting there and the program didn't start on time.

At 10:30, I left work to meet Kris and Jake at the parade downtown. Parking was a mess so I ended up parking very far away. Once I found the dancers, Kris and Jake were nowhere to be seen. Kris didn't have his phone so I decided to walk alongside the dancers until I saw them. That parade was a million miles long! I caught up with Kris near the end of the parade. He must have been 30 yards behind me the whole time and didn't even know it. After the parade, Kris was going to head to work and I was going to take Jacob to the third school. Unfortunately (and I'll use this word a lot) Jake's shoes were in Kris's car and Kris couldn't remember where he'd parked. I'd written down where I parked so after walking the wrong way for three blocks, we got turned the right direction and found the car. Kris and I got to the car first and started opening our doors when Jake started walking into the street. (He thought that his carseat was on the street side.) We both screamed at him to stop and for some reason, this made him start running. This made us scream even more and introduce some new words into Jacob's vocabulary. Kris grabbed him and put him back on the sidewalk and the two of us proceded to lecture Jake for the next 10 minutes straight.

It was difficult to get to Kris's car. The parade had closed streets and the pattern of one-ways was difficult to navigate. The parade ended at around 12:30 but we didn't get to Kris's car until 1:10. I zig-zagged back and forth trying to get to the main street but again, the parade route and the one-ways made it so what should have taken 2 minutes took 15. At 1:25 we were finally leaving for the school. We were supposed to be there at 1:30...

On the way, we hit every single red light. All of them. It was ridiculous. When we had only 10 miles to go, it became painfully obvious that I'd need to find a restroom. I figured we'd make it there and I'd run and find a restroom at the school. BUT! We continued to hit every red light and so with three miles to go, I was going to die and we HAD to pull over. Stopped at a Starbucks, used the facilities, bought a chocolate milk, then ran to the car. Still took another 5 minutes to get there and we were 10 minutes late. Jacob's group had already danced. He was a bit disappointed at first, but said that it was okay because he was able to see the older kids dance.

After all the rush to make it to St. Maria Goretti, the trip home seemed pretty anticlimactic. I'd already taken Jacob to Starbucks so that was off the table. It was only 2:30 so he wasn't hungry for food. There was nothing to do but just go home. Jake changed into basketball shorts but kept on the shirt and tie.

No comments: